5 Rules of Timeless Design
Trends may come and go but there are certain elements of design that will never go out of style. If you want to create a classic look that will stand the test of time make sure you follow these 5 rules of timeless design.
1. Consider Symmetry. When creating a classic look one of the main things to consider is symmetry. The human eye is drawn to symmetry and balance which means that no matter what happens with decorating styles, symmetrical rooms will always be pleasant to look at. Symmetrical rooms naturally create a sense of balance, so let your eye dictate where things should go.
2. Create a Focal Point. Much like symmetry, focal points are important because they’re pleasing to the eye and give it a place to rest. Focal points can be created with artwork, architectural elements, or pieces of furniture such as media units. But whatever you do make sure that you’ve only got one—competing for focal points are confusing to the subconscious and create a sense of chaos.
3. Use Classic Patterns. Part of what gives a room timeless style is the use of classic patterns such as damasks, botanicals, stripes, and plaids.
4. Stay Away From Trends. Trends are anything but timeless. In fact, it’s rare for any trend to last more than a few years, and they pretty much have built-in expiry dates. If you want a timeless look keep it small and keep it subtle.
5. Use Quality Items. Without a doubt, the number one thing you can do to create a timeless room is to use good quality furniture, fabrics, and accessories. That’s not to say you need to spend your life savings decorating your home, but you should always buy the best quality you can afford.
No matter what your preference is when it comes to color and style, it’s possible to decorate in such a way that your home will have a timeless quality. Follow the above rules and you’ll be set for years to come!